[linux-audio-user] Beginner sampler questions

Christian Henz chrhenz at gmx.de
Wed Mar 24 11:45:40 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 10:24:42AM -0500, Chris Metzler wrote:
[...]
> piano line and generate it through a sampler.  But that brings my
> first question -- if you don't own/play the instruments in question,
> where do you get the samples?  I've done a lot of web searching,
> and found tons of drum loops and bass lines that are two measures
> long and so forth, but don't find much in the way of e.g. individual
> notes on basses.
>
> And I wonder about how people use the extended samples I find.
> It seems kinda constraining, to be stuck with a melody/harmony
> line given to you by whatever someone sampled.  Of course, there
> are tons and tons of samples available; but then, in order to
> express the music you're hearing in your head, you're gonna be
> spending hours and hours trying to find samples that work.

The Answer would be sample CDs. They may contain everything from a Grand Piano,
with each individual key sampled at different velocities, with/without pedal
etc. to readymade drumloops/vocal hooks that you can hack together a crappy
dance music track within mere seconds :)

They come in specific formats for different hard/software samplers (Akai,
Gigasampler etc.) as well as generic formats like a CD-ROM with .wav files
or simply an audio CD.

See this vendor site for examples: http://bestservice.de/index.asp?lng=3

cheers,
Christian