[linux-audio-user] couple of muse questions

James Stone stone1 at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 24 15:13:24 EST 2004

> > > What does muse -R do?
> >
> > Runs it in realtime, if you're not connected via Jackd.
>
> Right. MusE does not run /well/ if it does not have access to rtc and realtime
> capabilities. Timing will be off.

Yes.. I had found this before, but I _think_ when you build muse with
rtcap, it automatically uses realtime. The -R option is a bit unclear.
For example, in my system when running muse (without jack), it does not
start, I get:

no locale <muse_en_GB>/</usr/local/share/muse/locale>
no JACK audio server found
ALSA: samplerate 44100 not available, using 48000
WARNING: Cannot lock memory:: Operation not permitted
WARNING: Cannot lock memory:: Operation not permitted
cannot set tick on /dev/rtc: Permission denied
precise timer not available

(muse was compiled for jack though, and with rtcap support).

when I run it with jack running, it starts fine:

no locale <muse_en_GB>/</usr/local/share/muse/locale>
JACK: sample rate changed: 44100

Also timing seems fine (as long as I have given the kernel option
sysctl -w dev.rtc.max-user-freq=1024)...

When I try to run it connected to jack with the -R startup option, it
does not start and gives me the error:

no locale <muse_en_GB>/</usr/local/share/muse/locale>
JACK: sample rate changed: 44100
creating watchdog thread failed:: Invalid argument
creating thread failed:: Illegal seek

My question is: do I need to start muse with the -R option, and what
does it do?

James