[linux-audio-user] Beginner sampler questions

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Fri Mar 26 13:35:49 EST 2004

Chris Metzler wrote:

> Well, yeah, and that's why I said "almost" arbitrary.  I mean, a couple
> of hundred megs of RAM could hold a sample much longer than just about
> anyone would ever wanna work with, right?

A sample? Absolutely.

A sample library?

No, not really. Just my piano is taking up about 1.5GB of space.

44.1KHz sample rate * 3 bytes/sample * 2 channels * 40 seconds * 88 keys
* 8 velocities

results in about 7.5GB of disk space.....

Orchestral sample libraries are now coming on MULTIPLE DVDs!

This stuff is big...much bigger than RAM...

- Mark