[linux-audio-user] what's the best option here? / SosPubs article

Kent, Gary gkent at mhc.edu
Fri Mar 26 16:23:15 EST 2004

	Thanks for this valuable input.  So...if the HDSP9652 is not the
best ADAT card available for Linux, would the Digi9636 (the HammerFall
Lite) be a better option? I found a discussion of this very thing from
earlier in the month, but am wondering why the AP2496 limits your
options for real-time recording work? The AP2496 has no optical inputs
and the DiO 2496 from M-Audio seems to be the only card they have that
does have them, and that is only 2 X 4 in/out.  I don't seem to have
many options in choosing ADAT cards here.

Mark Knecht from earlier March 8th post:
>> Don't get the stand alone HDSP9652 or HDSP9636 until you make sure
the Linux drivers will do what you need.

You had said this on a previous post and I was wondering what you meant
by stand alone.  Which RME card seems to work the best for recording
work?  I'm looking at that new M-Audio Octane as a possibility.  Am I
correct in that the RME cards have the converters on them, or are the
converters on the preamp/optical out interface?

Thanks for bearing with me on this,
gk