[linux-audio-user] Copy-Protection of Audio-CDs produced by myself

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Mar 31 10:45:46 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:26:03PM +1000, Mark Constable wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:06 pm, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:32:18 +0100, Daniel James wrote
> > > Suddenly I'm less interested - not because I'm cheap, but because
> > > this artist (or his management) is using a method of media delivery
> > > that I don't find to be a particularly compelling purchase. Offer a
> > > tangible CD that I can play on any machine without loss of quality
> > > or stupid restrictions, and I'm the first to get my wallet out.
> >
> > Slightly off topic as this is not CD's, but the popularity of www.bleep.com -
> > warp record's non DRM mp3 download for cash website - indicates that a lot of
> > people agree with you.
> >
> > I recommend people who find DRM unsavory to support sites like this.
>
> While plugging non-DRM sites, don't forget http://magnatune.com
> where you only pay *IF* you want to for full flac/wav copies of
> the actual CDs, or ogg or mp3. No annoying 30-second samples. A
> remarkably DRM/Copy-Protection/Flash/anything crap-free site.

emusic.com is also worth checking out. No DRM.
It's subscription-based, which I find a bit annoying - I'd
prefer an a-la-carte option - but the pricing is pretty good.
They don't have ogg or flac or anything but MP3, but
the MP3's are vbr and seem to be pretty decent quality.

you do have to download a trivial little "download manager"
binary, but they do have a linux version and it's pretty
unobtrusive.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com