[linux-audio-user] rezound as jack client

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki eric at zhevny.com
Sat May 1 21:51:58 EDT 2004

Robert Jonsson wrote:
> Hi Emiliano,
> Saturday 01 May 2004 00.28 skrev Emiliano Grilli:
>>venerdì, 30 aprile 2004 alle 17:01:30, Jack O'Quin ha scritto:
>>Does ecasound can reliably do the job of recording from jack apps without
>>xruns? I made only small recordings via jack, don't know if it can record
>>for, say, an hour... but could be an alternative, in the meanwhile...
> ecasound is pretty much as stable as you can get. I use it quite oftenly to
> "rip" casettes (that we record during rehearsal) directly to ogg via jack.
> Works perfectly.
> ecasound -i:jack -o:outfile.ogg (this commandline requires however that you
> set up the routing in jack manually)
> /Robert

Earlier this year I made wav file recordings using ecasound via jackd of
79 60 and 90 minute cassettes (~32 and ~47 minutes/side) of my own and
found sounds collected over the past 7-8 years. That's including a
internal ecasound compressor effect on many of the recordings. I started
this project on my old PII 400 box.

I've been virtually attending the 2nd LA conference at zkm for the past
three days. There are two rooms going at times, so I've been recording
the streams of the talks I couldn't attend to listen to later. So I have
had 2 alsaplayers decoding live streams playing back via jack to
different pairs of channels and listening to one stream while ecasound
records the other (back to ogg in this case to save space). Yes, I know
i'm decoding and reencoding, but for speech it's fine. Some of these
recordings have gone 90+ minutes. [1]

I have been getting occassional xruns, but I am not running jack,
alsaplayer or ecasound in realtime mode for this. And the xruns seemed
to coincide with the updates of the webcams (at times I've had three
going at once) happening every 10s or so. I'm pretty sure that if I had
been using realtime mode there would have been fewer or no xruns.

-Eric Rz.

1 - i'm listening to these recorded talks at 130%-140% speed in
alsaplayer to save some time. :-D That weird vocoderish effect on part
of julien's talk that missed was pretty wacky sped up like that. -edrz