[linux-audio-user] wav editor that does not require alsa

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon May 3 16:14:54 EDT 2004

Hallo,
Mikhail Ramendik hat gesagt: // Mikhail Ramendik wrote:

> I would like to do some simple WAV editing. Actually, minimum
> pre-mastering of an audio CD: normalizing, cutting out pieces,
> dividing into tracks, altering volume in some places.
>
> My problem is, at this point alsa drivers are not working for me.
> And in itself this is not a problem.

It isn't indeed, because most of the good wave editors don't even
really support ALSA: Audacity uses OSS per default and is hard to get
working with ALSA; Rezound uses OSS or Jack, Sweep's ALSA support can
be shaky and only Snd supports ALSA directly and well, but can do with
OSS, too.

Although the "dividing into tracks" can be difficult with some of
them. Of above examples only Audacity and Snd have useable multitrack
features, of course not in a way like Ardour does. For advanced usage
I'd say, still nothing beats Snd.

Ciao