[linux-audio-user] Audacity/Windows/Plugins

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Tue May 4 05:09:15 EDT 2004

On Thursday 29 Apr 2004 10:50 pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Since writing the first message here I Spent some time looking at
> the Audacity-help archives. I think I won't even bother loading
> Audacity. It appear the community is not very helpful. It looks
> like fewer than 20% of the requests there get even a single
> response.

I don't think that's the case at all - try the audacity-users and
audacity-devel lists and you'll see lots of requests for help being
answered.

Audacity is an excellent destructive editor, especially for very large
projects that can't be worked on with a RAM-based editor, such as
Sweep. It's also very easy to use for musicians who aren't computer
literate, because the GUI is very straightforward.

It can also be used as a multitrack recorder, although overdubs need
manual timing adjustment because the latency using the OSS interface
isn't great. The main limitations on Linux are that native ALSA and
JACK support is still experimental, but apart from that it is
extremely stable and reliable. We can record eight tracks at 48KHz
sample rate for half an hour or more without glitches. (For some
reason, at 44.1KHz we can only do six inputs reliably).

Cheers

Daniel