[linux-audio-user] [OT] recording fom turntable (ripping LPs)

Anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Tue May 4 08:24:46 EDT 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 11:32:01AM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> I dont think that will work, you need to reverse the RIAA curve to get
> back the original signal. I made a recording of some vynil using just a
> mixing desk and it sounds terrible.
>
> Jan Depner has report success by using JAMin to reverse the RIAA curve,
> but I've not tried it.

Audacity has RIAA available as a preset curve for its EQ feature.

I think I'd rather equalize the signal before digitizing, but it's worth
a try if it can be done immediately and without expenditure :-)

It has always puzzled me that the convention was to put the phone preamp
in the amplifier, not in the deck. Tape decks have neraly always adopted
the sensible convention - you have to go back to the 1950's to find
amplifiers with inputs for direct connction to a tape replay head, and
switches for NAB and other curves for different tape speeds.

Oops, I'm showing my age.

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444