[linux-audio-user] Alsa and RME HDSP Questions

plessas at mur.at plessas at mur.at
Wed May 5 21:20:01 EDT 2004

Hy there,
i fooled around with getting my rme hdsp card to work under my 2.6.4 kernel in
debian.
There is some information i collected and i am confused somehow...
If anyone has an idea to help me out I'd be glad to hear!!

Current status: I am able to address my hdsp-multiface f.e. with the app
hdspmixer, after having my box booting Win2k and doing a warm-reboot into
debian running 2.6.4 kernel.

This i found on the net:
If you have a recent hdsp-card or if you are using a recent (December, 2002)
driver in windows or macOS, you might have the wrong firmware installed.
In order to make alsa-hdsp recognize the hdsp you have to downgrade the firmware
of your card(bus) to revision 10 (0xa hex).
(by klingt.org)
Q: Is this still so? I'm using my Multiface with different computers, running
Win2k, Mac OSX and Debian, so I'd like to be able to use the latest drivers
(which also implies using the latest firmware i guess)

Q: Where to get the firmware??

Q: Has the firmware get loaded via hdsploader after loading the modules, and how
do you do it? a script?

Anyway, i get:

bigh:~/alsa-tools-1.0.4/hdsploader# ./hdsploader
hdsploader - firmware loader for RME Hammerfall DSP cards
Looking for HDSP + Multiface or Digiface cards :
Card 0 : RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface at 0xdfdf0000, irq 18
Upload firmware for card hw:0
Unable to open file
'/usr/local/share/alsa/firmware/hdsploader/multiface_firmware_rev11.bin' for
reading

There is no alsa directory in: /usr/local/share/

I just compiled a 2.6.4 kernel and I don't feel i have to apt-get-install alsa
since i'm glad to have alsa in my kernel finally... :-)
(btw: if i'd install alsa via apt-get, would that overwrite crucial
settings/files created by my 2.6.x kernel?)

Thanks if anyone has time to help me out!!!

Peter~