MusE as a midi-only sequencer, was Re: [linux-audio-user] how to cut a midi file?

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Fri May 7 03:04:10 EDT 2004

On Friday 07 May 2004 04.51, Michal Seta wrote:
> rossen <rossen at protein.osaka-u.ac.jp> writes:
> > the new muse-0.7(still in a pre-release stage)
> > won't even start if you don't have jack running:)
>
> I haven't used muse for a while but I recall seeing (and using) a
> command-line switch to disable audio...  was it '-a'?
>
> Things have perhaps changed... or I'm just daydreaming...

There was an -a switch, it is however not there anymore. The new version of
MusE does rely solely on JACK. This was a technical decision to remove
complexity.
The focus for the coming release is stability (dispite the fact that an insane
amount of new functionality has been added).

Though, I know there are still issues with some hardware and JACK (mainly USB
I think), I have high hopes that all this can be fixed.

There is actually a dummy backend for JACK which IMO would render this
discussion moot. I am yet to try this though, anyone knows if JACK in this
configuration has constant timing?

Regards,
Robert