[linux-audio-user] rather OT: transporting monitors?

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Mon May 10 04:20:36 EDT 2004

> heading out on a plane flight back to the UK, and need a means of
> transporting a computer monitor, preferably without paying for
> shipping as we have plenty of baggage weight available. we're
> planning to pack it inside its  cardboard box with loads of bubble
> wrapping and lots of 'Fragile: handle as eggs' stickers on the
> side.

When shipping a motherboard recently, I was advised by the Post Office
counter staff not to put 'fragile' on the box. This is because
disenchanted postmen and women are more likely to kick or drop a box
if it has 'fragile' written on it, apparently! I don't know if
airport baggage handlers are the same.

> does anyone have any experience of doing this, and have any
> sugestions on the best way to go about it?

If it's a CRT monitor, mark the box so you know which side the screen
is on. Then when you pick up the box, have the screen side closest to
your chest, because the centre of gravity won't be near the centre of
the box. It's then much less likely to drop out of your hands when
you stumble, exhausted, out of the baggage reclaim area...

Also, don't forget to check the voltage requirements of the monitor
before you plug it in. Laptops usually have autosensing power
supplies, but in my experience CRT monitors do not. A 240v UK power
supply will probably destroy a 110v US monitor.

Cheers

Daniel