[linux-audio-user] Newbie checks in

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Mon May 10 11:05:29 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 00:16, Jos Laake wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a lifelong musician turned geek who is now returning to the music
> arena.  I'm not new to technical issues.  My day job until recently was
> working on real-time Linux for Sony, so I know my way around a Linux
> system fairly well.  The music part I've got down.  But music
> technology, well, the last time I recorded anything was on a Tascam
> 4-track reel-to-reel and, whoa!  Things have changed!  And I'm gonna
> need some help getting up to speed with all this cutting edge digital
> audio stuff available today.
>
> As an avid open source supporter, I intend to use a Linux box as a
> multitrack digital studio to help me bring 20 years of sidetracked
> musical talent back to life.
>
> But so far I've had nothing but trouble so I went looking for help and
> ended up here.  So here's what I've got...
>
> On my main machine, I'm using RedHat 9 (kernel version = 2.4.20-6) on a
> little cube Pentium4 machine (Ice Cube).  The audio module that RedHat
> came up with at configuration is:  'i810-audio'
>
> I'm also working with an old Gateway dual Pentium II runing RedHat 9
> with SMP (kernel version = 2.4.20-6SMP) and this one is using a Creative
> Labs SoundBlaster MP3+ USB Audio unit.  It comes up with an audio module
> called 'audio'.  (I'd like to set this up for my son who is a budding
> guitarist).
>
> I was thinking about using the latest ALSA drivers (1.0.4) and Audacity,
> but, first thing first.  I'm having trouble getting the ALSA drivers
> working.
>
> First question:  Is this the best way to go?  I mean, I want to do pro
> or near-pro quality audio, but I don't want to spend boatloads on sound
> cards without knowing there's good open source software to use.

Welcome!  I am comparatively new to Linux and have found the folks on
this list to be courteous and helpful.

As for you quality...will be better than that ol' Tascam! :)
I have been able to get some quite useful function from Linux without
spending ANY money specifically for the cause. My use is primarily live
FX processing on PA and Acoustic guitars through a cheap old SBLive 5.1.
I have been using Winblows for a long time utilizing apps like Sonar XL,
etc. I use more midi sequencing than anything. Although I'm not ready to
dump Sonar completely at this point, I'm encouraged by the amazing
progress Linux Audio has made in recent years. Almost seems like there
has been a surge. I do intend on picking up a Delta 1010 at some point
to expand my use and hope to eventually build one hot box to handle my
midi stuff as well as FX processing on PA and instruments / vocals at
the same time. Rosegarden and Muse are progressing well.

Check the Alsa Project page for info on drivers. Also
www.djcj.org/LAU/guide/index.php is a great place to poke around.

Good Luck

R~