[linux-audio-user] Newbie checks in

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Mon May 10 21:59:13 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 20:18, Jos Laake wrote:
> eviltwin69 at cableone.net wrote:
>  > Welcome back!  Check out my web site:
>  > http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/ALSA_JACK_ARDOUR.html
>  >
>  > Ardour is the best multitrack available but it takes some setup
>  > to get running.
>  > I've documented the scratch setup on my web site (since you
>  > already know your way around Linux this shouldn't be a problem).
>
> So, I went to the Ardour website and checked it out.  Seems like
> ALSA/JACK/Ardour is a pretty good combination.  But I'd like a
> little more input from folks who have tried this stuff.  Any
> comparison tests out there among the various attempts at developing
> a Digital Audio Workstation?  Ardour seems more robust than Audacity,
> yet Audacity seems easier to use.  Is this just my newbie sense leading
> me astray or is my intuition telling me something?

	Nope, no question about it, Audacity is simpler and easier (it's also a
great tool).  If you're going to do serious multitrack though Ardour is
worth the effort.  It's basically the equivalent of ProTools.

> So how about this one? - Creative Labs SoundBlaster MP3+ USB Audio unit
> Yeah, it's a cheapo, about 40 bucks at Fry's.  Anybody using consumer
> grade stuff and getting decent (demo qulity) results?  Or are the stock
> soundcards and/or motherboard sound units all crap?  Remember, my last
> recordings were on reel-to-reel tape.  I'm not looking for pro-studio
> 2-track ulti-bit quality here.  I just wanna make cool music that
> sounds clean enough for my friends and fans to play in their car stereos
> and MP players.

	I've done good demo quality stuff using an Ensoniq PCI card (ens1371).
Basically about the same quality as what you've got.

Jan