[linux-audio-user] audacity 1.2.1

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at rfa.org
Tue May 11 13:12:35 EDT 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 02:19:41PM -0230, Juhan Leemet wrote:
> >Jack Bowling <jbinpg at shaw.ca> escribi?:
> >> Anybody successfully compiled the latest Audacity v1.2.1? It breaks
> >> spectacularly in the portaudio section for me with all kinds of wxGTK
> >> errors. I have the whole wxGTK environment on my box including the devel
> >> stuff and I haven't had these errors with previous versions.
> >mmm... it's funny, it fails for me too. never had had problem with audacity
> >before. i searched the audacity mailing list and nobody complained about
> >this, though...
> >anyone?
> FWIW, I have successfully built audacity-1.2.1 on SuSE 8.2, but I haven't
> tested it yet. All I had to do was adjust some package (dependency) naming,
> since SuSE has different package names. While building, I did notice a
> message about it using portaudio 15 which restricts it to oss, and it said I
> would have to change to use the experimental (?) portaudio 16 to get alsa
> support. I have not done that yet. On my audio machine, I've got an M-Audio
> Audiophile-2496, and I think (?) I'm restricted to using oss (because of
> envy24control?) anyway? I'm a bit unclear on that. I'll play more later (on
> another machine). Just another "data point" for you guys.

just curious ... how does envy24control restrict you to using oss?
envy24control is an ALSA tool for controling an ice1712 chip's mixing,
routing and other features. You pretty much have to be using alsa to use
envy24control. Many people, myself included, are using envy24control and
the alsa-drivers on cards (delta-66 for me) based on this chipset.

-Eric Rz.