[linux-audio-user] Apple Lossless codec

Malcolm Baldridge linux-audio at paypc.com
Tue May 11 20:27:40 EDT 2004

> FLAC and Ogg/FLAC are different formats

I know.

> libsndfile [post 1.0.11] will automagically get Ogg/FLAC support

The current libflac supports Ogg containering of the FLAC streams, and it
works very well.  I've been opening these FLAC files with old Cool Edit Pro
.ogg plugins, so I know it's generating compatible files.

> If any of that paragraph made sense to you, and you'd like to help Erik
> and I with developing FLAC support, please get in touch :)

A long long time ago (back when Oh Sucks 10.1 shipped I think?), in a galaxy
far far away (Australia), I've helped Erik to fix up his AIFF/AIFC handling
to allow it to correctly process the audio files Oh Sucks presents to the
filesystem when you insert an audio CD.  I would imagine alot of the heavy
lifting of the Ogg containered FLAC support is done for you in the latest
FLAC library, though I'm way out on a limb here.

I might be able to lend a hand.

Is Apple calling FLAC (or Ogg/FLAC) "their" technology or something?

=MB=

--
A focus on Quality.