[linux-audio-user] A most bizarre problem.

Malcolm Baldridge linux-audio at paypc.com
Thu May 13 20:52:41 EDT 2004

> I'm also using the i810/AC97 chipset (built-into the motherboard of my
> Ice Cube) and the ALSA driver 'snd-intel8x0'.  I've been trying to get
> the hang of how to use the various I/O jacks with 'alsamixer', but geez!
> There are 34 sliders there!  Can anybody point me to a resource that
> will explain how the i810/AC97 works and what all those sliders are for?

Many/most(?) of those are just in there because the software isn't sure they
really exist, so they're enabled so you can control them.  I'm convinced
that most of the sliders are "wishful thinking" items whose effects greatly
depend on your exact hardware/codec combination.

Keep in mind too that motherboard sound hardware is a pig's breakfast.  The
real limitations/features will come down to which codec is used and how the
donkey-tech interpreted the chipset hardware manuals (or even if they
understood them).  As usual, the less you spend the more randomness you will
"enjoy".  I find the most predictability with genuine Intel motherboards,
and the most randomness and variability against specifications and standards
with such "value maximised" brands like ECS, etc.

I've wasted alot of time looking through the AC97 specifications only to
realise the skanky motherboard I have in my Athlon XP system ignored it
almost completely.

Good luck.

The broken motherboards will not avail you, flame of Taipei!

=MB=
--
A focus on Quality.