[linux-audio-user] A most bizarre problem.

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Fri May 14 10:03:06 EDT 2004

I didn't catch the other responses to this so I'm
probably out of touch.

--- Malcolm Baldridge <linux-audio at paypc.com> wrote:

> > in alsamixer, look for a "Rec." toggle on the
> line-in channel. I had
> > this very problem with my i810 compatible
> (nforce2) onboards sound.
>
> Well, you see, therein lies my problem!  I am using
> the LINE IN jack for
> recording (of phone line audio).
>
> Perhaps a graphic will illustrate it better.
>
>                    /--- LEFT --- Line 1 Phone patch
> LINE IN JACK: <====
>                    \--- RIGHT--- Line 2 Phone patch

All ports are able to be routed. So, you don't have to
route the alsa_pcm:input_1,2 to alsa_pcm:playback_1,2.
I think this means your hardware capabilities are
irrelevant. Just don't use hardware monitoring.

> LINE OUT JACK:====> AT&T MERLIN PHONE SYSTEM
> [music-on-hold]
>
> So I guess if I'm using the LINE IN jack on a PC for
> recording, I will
> always get some of that mixed into the LINE OUT
> audio?

That should be wrong because a signal doesn't have to
route to alsa_pcm:playback.

> In my application, I would have preferred these to
> be isolated so that the
> audio arriving into LINE IN would never be mixed
> into the LINE OUT audio,
> but I guess this can't be done.

I suspect you have the absolute correct idea but have
hit a snag. Perhaps hardware monitoring is set on.
Or...

ron