[linux-audio-user] Re: [a-users] Re: ["Michael D. Crawford" <crawford at goingware.com>] Linked your site from my music article

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki eric at zhevny.com
Sun May 16 22:18:02 EDT 2004

Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> Greetings,
> I just joined the list, so if you want to discuss my article here you
> don't need to copy to me separately.
> If you're thinking of translating my article, let me tell you some
> statistics that may be encouraging.
> The english version has been served to about 2000 unique hosts per day
> for the past two and a half months.  It ranks #1 at Google for the query
> about one's opinions.
> Unfortunately that forbids such derivative works as translations.  I
> tried to find a license that would suit me but would allow faithful
> translations, but I couldn't find any, and I don't think there's really
> any way one could be written.  But I can grant separate permission to
> anyone who wishes to translate, and I'm willing to hold joint copyright
> with a translator.
> I welcome your discussion.
 >--
 >Michael D. Crawford
 >GoingWare Inc. - Expert Software Development and Consulting
 >http://www.goingware.com
 >crawford at goingware.com

Michael,

Thank you for your article. If I can ever get myself to concentrate long
enough to get my own site online I will be linking to yours.

I've long felt that music should be something that everyone has the
right to _do_ themselves. The experience of making sounds happen seems
to me to be something everyone needs. So many people do not get this
experience. My knowledge of history may be a bit spotty, but in general
my understanding is that before the rise of the Music Business a far
greater percentage of the population actually participated in music
making fairly regularly rather than merely consuming entertaiment. Now
it seems to me that most people in the general population are afraid, or
can't even conceive, of making music themselves. The feeling I get is
that the average person (amongst the general population -- not the
average reader of this list :) ) is trained to think that if they can't
sell millions of albums they might as well not bother. This is a
horrible shame.

My personal hope is that the internet and free software can help to give
back to the individual the freedom to create and to enjoy the act of
creating. The world will be a better place for it.

Thank you again.
You have stirred me up a bit, definitely for the better :)

-Eric Rz.