[linux-audio-user] edirol um-880 configuration help needed

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Tue May 18 02:48:39 EDT 2004

Chris Pickett wrote:
> I am trying to get my Edirol UM-880 to work with Rosegarden-4.0.9.7 and
> alsa-1.0.4.
>
> /usr/src/linux # grep -i midi .config
> CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=y
> # CONFIG_SND_VIRMIDI is not set
> CONFIG_USB_MIDI=y

CONFIG_USB_MIDI is not the ALSA driver but the old OSS driver.
You want to use CONFIG_SND_USB_AUDIO instead.

> usbmidi: /dev/midi01: in (ep:81 cid: 0 bufsiz:64) out (ep:01 cid: 0 bufsiz:64)
>
> However, when I start rosegardensequencer, it doesn't show up:

Rosegarden doesn't support OSS devices.  It will work when you use the
ALSA driver.

> The first thing I noticed is that it doesn't work with the default
> Edirol driver, about which the manual says:
>
>      FPT technology [...]

The "FPT technology" is always used, regardless of the "generic
driver" setting.  It's just a fancy name for the protocal that all USB
MIDI devices use.

> To change this, you have to follow the instructions in the manual to use
> the generic driver mode.

The ALSA driver supports both driver modes.

Microsoft's USB Audio driver in operating systems before Windows XP
didn't support USB MIDI, and Bad Things(TM) would happen if this
driver was loaded for such a device.  Therefore, USB MIDI devices must
pretend not to be an USB Audio device to prevent Microsoft's driver
from loading.  This is the whole difference between the "Edirol" and
"generic" driver modes.

> I'm guessing Edirol isn't likely to release specs for the fancy
> one, but I haven't gone about asking.

The USB MIDI specification was written by Roland.

HTH
Clemens