[linux-audio-user] Realplay 8.0 and sfxload; life is strange

Marv Smoak smoak at mis.net
Tue May 18 11:59:37 EDT 2004

On my system, I using Planet CCRMA vintage March 2003. Realplay
version 8.0.3.421 and sfxload version 0.4.3; when I need to boot
my system, I must follow the procedure below to get realplay to
work when I load a soundfont to my sblive card. Today I had to
re-discover this sequence for the N-th time so I wrote it down.
I'm posting it here in hopes it will help someone; I don't
understand why it works, but it does, on my system.

How to get realplay to work after using sfxload to load a soundfont
to a SB-Live card.  (Assume you've done a reboot of system, logged
in as a user to KDE.)

1-- Before using sfxload,  start realplayer first.
Connect to internet and open a location such
as http://www.jazz.fm/liveg2.ra ; realplay
plays the stream.

1.1-- I usually start AlsaPatchBay and AlsaMixer at
this point; it doesn't seem to matter whether this
is done at this stage or later.

2--  While realplay is playing the stream, load the
soundfont; on my sys sfxload 4marv/soundfonts/FluidR3_20GM.SF2
On my sys, the stream must be playing. During the
and realplay says "Buffering".  After the font is loaded,
hit the stop button on realplay and re-connect to the location.
The stream will start playing again.

After this sequence, I can quit out of realplay and restart is
without getting the dread "cannot open the sound device..."
message.

If realplay is not up and actively playing a stream when
sfxload loads the soundfont, realplay will not find the
sound device.  And my system must re-booted. Logging
out and back in, does not work.  The soundfont load
does not survive the boot.