[linux-audio-user] Timemachine compile problem

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Fri May 21 04:54:03 EDT 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 01:19:18 -0700
Jos Laake <jos at radiks.net> wrote:

> Hey, thanks Erik!  This ^^ did the trick... and then it choked on
> 'sndfile'.  So I got that and compiled it... And then it choked
> on 'ladcca' so I got that and compiled it... and then it worked.
> Or at least it compiled and I brought it up with JACK and made
> connections with 'qjackctl'.

Which is why so many people prefer Debian, AGNULA and DeMuDi which
have many more pre-packaged audio apps that the standard Suse/Redhat/
Mandrake etc.

> At that point, 'timemachine' appeared
> to work, the meters were movin' it was writin' ".wav" files...cool.
> Until I tried to play one of the '.wav' files.

Sorry, this file is not a WAV file, its a W64 file. W64 is a file format
which originates with the SoundForge people and allows files bigger than
4Gig (the limit of standard WAV files). libsndfile read and writes these
quite happily. To play the file, use sndfile-play (probably installed
when you installed libsndfile).

> When I try to play it with 'alsaplayer' I get this:
>
> Audio File Library: '/home/jos/tm-2004-05-13T05:30:06.wav':

Your copy of alsaplayer seems to be using libaudiofile instead of
libsndfile. I know alsaplayer does support libsndfile, but your copy
might not have libsndfile support compiler in.

> I tried to play them in 'xmms' as well and it won't even load them.

Xmms will load and play these files if you use the xmms_sndfile
plugin:

    http://www.mega-nerd.com/xmms_sndfile/

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam at mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
A good debugger is no substitue for a good test suite.