[linux-audio-user] ALSA and M-Audio Dio2448 SPDIF input (again)

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Mon May 24 04:27:36 EDT 2004

> I still can't get it to record fromt he SPDIF input though.
> ALSA has installed the generic CMI PCI 8738 driver, which I believe is
> the correct thing to do. Apps like alsamixergui have the right switches,
> but something seems to be disabled. The IEC958 In select doen't respond,

i dont know what causes this. It is like this on some of my systems
and not others. Even without the switch though, the spdif input is
available as alsa hw:0,2. Getting apps to use this subdevice 2 is a
bit hit and miss. Some require the subdevice to be specified and some
(such as Jack i think) dont. Non-alsa apps are more tricky.

i wonder though if this should be reported as an alsa driver bug,
perhaps related to chipset revisions?

> and I can't find any docs which explain, e.g.
> - what combination of controls is required for this
> - what "IEC958 IN Valid" means (it's a control input, not a status
> 	display...)

makes no difference as far as i can tell.

> - what values I'm likely to need to change with iecset

none that i know of.

cheers
--
Tim Orford