[linux-audio-user] Newbie Questions

Robert Jonsson rj at spamatica.se
Wed May 26 09:02:17 EDT 2004

Hi Chris,

On Wednesday 26 May 2004 14.35, Chris Share wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Linux, although I've been involved with music and computers
> for many years, having worked professionally as a musician and sound
> engineer, as well as having written some MIDI/audio apps for Mac and PC.

Cool!

> I'm currently starting PhD research in music technology at the Sonic
> Arts Research Centre in Belfast.
>
> I thought that now would be as good a time as any to venture into the
> world of Linux audio/MIDI, and have just installed SUSE 9.0.
>
> I'm interested in using Ardour for HD recording, as well as other
> synthesis programs such as Csound, jMax and SuperCollider.

Sounds great.
<shameless plug>
Be sure to check out MusE too, we are getting ready for a new release, lots of
improvements. (http://lmuse.sourceforge.net)
</>

> My first question is related to setting up my system for low-latency?
>
> I've found Paul Winkler's "Low-Latency 2.4.x with ALSA HOWTO" and was
> wondering whether this was the most up-to-date guide to creating a
> low-latency system, especially with respect to SUSE 9.0.

Mmm, mostly I guess. I'm however not fluent in "SuSE" so I could not say for
sure. Asking here about specific issues is also a good idea :-).

> My second question concerns audio hardware. Here at the SARC I have
> access to a Digi 002r audio/MIDI interface which uses Firewire. I can't
> find any information about this interface and was wondering if it was
> possible to use it with Linux.

Firewire interests me alot. Sadly it is not yet a reality in Linux.
mLan, the standard for audio over Firewire is high on many peoples wishlist
and I think there was supposed to be a meeting with Yamaha one of these days?
Though I don't know if the Digi002r is compatible with mLan, not all hardware
is...like always.

/Robert

--
http://spamatica.se/music/