[linux-audio-user] ANNOUNCE: Rosegarden-4 0.9.8 released

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Thu May 27 05:27:34 EDT 2004

Daniel James wrote:
>>i'd like to know if it's possible to modify velocity of key pressed
>>
>>>on external keyboard in realtime ?
>>>
>>>I mean for example, if key pressed on external keyboard gives 50
>>>of value, and if the parameter of velocity is +20, rosegarden
>>>would modify this value, and gives 70.
>>>
>>>I know it's very common on sequencer on windows (cubase, logic
>>>audio), but on rosegarden is it possible ?
>>
>>No, not in real time.
>

> Excuse my ignorance, because I'm not a keyboard player, but isn't it
> easier just to hit the keys a bit harder? I think that's the
> traditional method of modifying velocity in real time : )

No, when you're recording MIDI parts, it's often the case that you'd
want to correct the velocity of certain notes in an otherwise perfect
take, often the first of a phrase that simply doesn't come in forcefully
enough. Obviously you can simply change the values, but this can result
in a rather 'wooden' feel, much of the battle in MIDI composition is to
try and maintain some kind of human feel. Being able to use an external
MIDI controller to edit these parameters in real time would be of
genuine use. It's a fair request IMO. The implementation of such
features, I would guess, requires someone with the necessary skills to
consider it an interesting enough coding problem. ;)

That said:
Yes, It can often prove quicker to simply do another take. :)

cheers

tim hall