[linux-audio-user] declipper

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu May 27 12:50:20 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 08:54:54AM -0700, R Parker wrote:

> --- Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 08:04:25AM -0700, R Parker
> > wrote:
> average level.
> > >
> > > If these spikes aren't clips, maybe I can
> > normalize
> > > and close the level gap between the spikes and the
> > > average signal. I'll try that but suspect it won't
> > do
> > > the job.
> >
> > Normalizing won't change the relative levels of the
> > spikes
> > and the average at all.
>
> Ah, yes of course you're right. Are there two types of
> normalization; A. adjusts everything relatively, B.
> moves the average?

Normalization is just simple amplification by a
constant factor.  The factor is calculated so that the
highest peak in the normalized audio will be at some
user-determined target level (typically, the target defaults to
"maximum", e.g. 32767 for signed 16-bit audio... or sometimes
a dB or two below maximum, I guess to avoid clipping DACs).

So if you think about it, normalization is always
both A and B :-)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com