[linux-audio-user] fst redux

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Fri May 28 09:27:02 EDT 2004

Hi Carl:

  Kernel is 2.4.26, Planet CCRMA, low-latency. GCC is 3.2.2, Wine
version is 20031118. VSTserver and vsti are the latest versions from
Kjetil's site (0.3.1 and 0.0.3). Libfst is 1.5, jack_fst is 1.2.

  I had a most interesting time last night playing around with various
VSTi plugins. Probably the weirdest thing I did was to run a couple of
plugins (Oberon and PM4) via jack_fst (separate instances) then drive
them with a MIDI sequencer (Sequencer Plus Gold) running under DOSemu.
Very strange to see an MS-DOS MIDI application driving two VSTi plugins
while in Linux. ALSA + JACK + Linux rocks *hard* !  Response from the
plugins was fine, with no latency issues. One thing I noticed: after
some time the plugins stopped responding to attempts to move sliders and
knobs. At that point the plugins had efectively crashed, even though the
sequencer could still drive them (I just couldn't make any changes to
the plugin's settings). This is apparently a known issue. The only
problem I had with stuck notes was when I removed a connection from the
MIDI patch bay while the synth was still sounding. I simply reconnected
the sequencer and the synth, hit the key on my CZ101, and the stuck note
was gone. I had no trouble with stuck notes while playing the plugins
via the sequencer or my Casio keyboard.

  Screen redraws are slow on my system (800 MHz Duron), but I suspect
that's due to the low-powered CPU. My video system is running an nVidia
GForce2 with the nVidia driver.

  I'll revise the Linux VST/VSTi tutorial this weekend. I'm impressed by
the performance of both fst and vsti, and it's time to update that tutorial.

  Serious congratulations to Kjetil, Paul, and Torben !

Best,

dp