[linux-audio-dev] re: [linux-audio-user] A bit of good news--paper now available for your viewing pleasure and/or comments

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Fri May 28 15:10:12 EDT 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 02:01:17PM -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> If the cards *are* synced at the hardware level, it should work.
> This can be done either via word-clock connections if the cards
> support that, or by a quick hack: connect S/PDIF output on one
> card to S/PDIF input on the other. Set the second card to use
> its S/PDIF input as clock source.

yes.
and surely this is a perfectly satisfactory solution for
a small setup? Not sure 'hack' is really the right word.

its not even a case of having expensive hardware. The $40
cmipci is capable of this.

> This hack assumes you have S/PDIF I/O and are willing to sacrifice
> it for synchronization.

You can split the outputs (using appropriate
impedance matching), and use one feed for audio and one for sync.
So all you lose is the inputs on the slave cards leaving the inputs
free for audio use on the master card.

i vote that Ivo's comment "as well as potentially multiple soundcards"
is (theretically) accurate.

BUT, imo, any talk of using multiple unlocked cards is utterly futile
in the context of Jack:-)

cheers
--
Tim Orford