[linux-audio-user] Re: [PlanetCCRMA] alsa-lib 1.04 FC1

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Fri May 28 19:43:56 EDT 2004

Greetings:

  I'm trying to figure out how to write a grub.conf that will allow a
choice between booting into Planet C's RH 8 or RH 9. Here's what I know
about the drive structure:

    For RH8:

       /dev/hda1 /boot
       /dev/hda2 /
       /dev/hda3 /swap

    For RH9:

        /dev/hda5 /boot
        /dev/hda6 /
        /dev/hda7 /swap

  A single drive has been partitioned to accommodate both systems. The
RH8 install was the first installation, and in the process of installing
RH9 grub was rewritten for it (and not for the RH8 partition). So, how
do I indicate the choices ? Here's what I'm thinking about for an edited
grub.conf :

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
### RH9
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma)
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma ro root=LABEL=/1 hdc=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma.img
### RH8
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.19-1.ll)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.19-1.ll ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.19-1.ll.img

Is this kosher ? What will happen if it's incorrect, and what should I
do if grub fails ? How do I specify that I want RH8 to be the default
system ?

Btw, when the RH8 partition is mounted from RH9 (mount /dev/hda1
/mnt/rh8) we discovered that /mnt/rh8/etc/grub.conf is a broken link.
I'm sorry about the confusion, but I've never edited grub.conf.

Best,

dp