[linux-audio-user] jamin: lookahead_limiter_const_1906.so ?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat May 29 06:38:08 EDT 2004

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 12:35:02 -0700, R Parker wrote:
> > I suspect it should have a peak allowance mode,
> > which ignores very short
> > peaks at over 0dB and clips them.
>
> That does seem like an interesting feature. The job
> I'm working on now has transient spikes that are
> probably +6.0dbfs above the average. I used the TAP
> Scaling Limiter post fader to deal with them. This
> does a good job.
>
> Do you imagine that spikes of this extreme are beyound
> the scope of the peak allowance mode?
>
> I assume they are. Otherwise, we're probably dealing
> with something that's aggresive enough to become
> audible if the user isn't able to adjust it. I don't
> really know and am simply speculating.

I would think 6dB would be in - its a psychoacostic effect, humans cant
detect the harmonic distortion from clipping at very short durations (< 1
ms or so I think).

In any case it would definatly be an option, the extra headroom isn't
always desirable, and it might be audible under certian circumstances.

- Steve