[linux-audio-user] XRuns with the Audiophile 24/96 M-Audio

Mark Williams (MWP) mwp at internode.on.net
Sat May 29 08:14:08 EDT 2004

> On Sat, 29 May 2004 07:26:44 -0400
> Doug James <dcjames at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 06:49, Remi Bernhard wrote:
> > > oot
> > > - i even tried to raise buffer at big values : 512, 1024, and even
> > > there i have some (1 or 2) xruns
> > > - i'm now trying with kernel 2.6.6 to see if things are better
> >
> > Try using a 2.4.xx kernel. If you browse through the archives, you'll
> > see that the 2.6.x kernels aren't quite up to snuff for low latency
> > operation.
> >

> Yes, i read the archives, and saw that someone else had a problem with
> kernel 2.6 and the audiophile.
>
> Although, some people reported that their kernel 2.6.x works better than
> kernel 2.4, but they didn't say with wich soundcard. So if someone had
> an audiophile with kernel 2.6.x, and no xruns, please tell me !

The Audiophile is a Envy24 card... so all other cards based on the Envy24 and
Envy24HT act the same way (i run an Envy24HT).

I tride a 2.4 kernel with the low-latency patches and had lots of problems with
xruns (JACK).
I had better results using the stock 2.6 kernels than the low-lat 2.4 (weird
eh?). But even with the 2.6 kernels i was still getting xruns.

After some searching and testing, im now using the 2.6.4 kernel patched with Con
Kolivas's staircase scheduler.
Along with setting up scheduler priorites on audio apps im no longer getting
xruns even with very small buffer sizes.

Get the patches here:
http://kerneltrap.org/blog/1292

I then set the priorites of apps like this:
schedtool -F -p 75 -n -20 -e jackd -v -t 5000 -R -d alsa -d "hw:1" -r 48000 -p 256

MWP.