[linux-audio-dev] re: [linux-audio-user] A bit of good news--paper now available for your viewing pleasure and/or comments

luis jure ljure at multitel.com.uy
Sat May 29 08:57:36 EDT 2004

el Sat, 29 May 2004 04:03:36 +0100
Steve Harris <S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk> escribió:

> You think Free Software is cheap?!
>
> My time is quite valuable, and I recon I've put a good few man-months in.
> If I wanted a cheap solution I'd just buy a mac and a protools box :-|

hello steve and all,

just in case it was misunderstood, my previous mail intended, first, to be
humorous.

i never doubted that the time of all the excellent developers that are
working in free software, which includes you, is very valuable. and so is
the time of the thousands of users who spend many good hours compiling and
configuring software that are not always easy to install, hunting bugs,
participating in forums and mailing-lists, helping other users, providing
feedback to the developers.

but the expression "you get what you pay for" means something completely
different for me. not being a native speaker of english it's very possible
that i miss the exact meaning of the expression, but for me it means simply
that the quality of what you purchase is always in direct relation of the
amount of money you pay for it.

i think free software is very valuable. i don't think it's expensive. that's
why i feel funny when i repeat "you get what you pay for", because i think
that we, the community of developers and users of free software, are the
demonstration that the old principle is not always true.

best,

lj