non-native MIDI apps under Linux, was Re: [linux-audio-user] fst redux

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Sat May 29 11:52:39 EDT 2004

RTaylor wrote:

> (Oberon and PM4) via jack_fst (separate instances) then drive them
> with a MIDI sequencer (Sequencer Plus Gold) running under DOSemu. Very
> strange to see an MS-DOS MIDI application driving two VSTi plugins
> while in Linux. ALSA + JACK + Linux rocks *hard* !  Response from the
> plugins was fine, with no latency issues. One thing I noticed: after
> some time the plugins stopped
>  Anyone got ideas as to what older {or obscure} dos or windows
> sequencers might work well in linux? Not that it's really necessary
> these days... It's just sort of an interest. :}

Sure thing. Under DOSemu I've run the following applications with
various success:

    Sequencer Plus Gold (MIDI sequencer, now available as freeware)
    Sideman D/TX synth editor
    Drummer rhythm programmer
    RAVEL C-like MIDI programming language
    Music Printer Plus notation app
    Mbox general purpose experimental MIDI environment (very weird
interface)
    M/pc starts but doesn't work (mouse problem)
    Sound Globs  starts but won't produce output

Under Xsteem (an Atari ST emulator) I've run these apps:

    Master Tracks Pro sequencer
    Cubase sequencer (MIDI-only)
    Autobusk
    Tunesmith
    Schoenberg
    many others from Tim's Atari MIDI World...

Most of those work well, but some Atari MIDI apps have given me
problems. YMMV, as usual...

And under UAE (an Amiga emulation) I've run a few trackers and synth
editors, such as Octamed and Protracker.

Performance seems best under Xsteem and DOSemu. Depending on environment
settings, performance under DOSemu can be very good. Sequencer Plus
remains my favorite sequencer.

I haven't tried Texture or the old DOS Cakewalk, but if anyone happens
to have them laying around I'd like to see whether they'll run in the
emulated environment.

I've also not got very far with MIDI and sound apps running under WINE,
though there are some notable successes. Obviously realtime performance
is the "gotcha", but it might be possible to tweak WINE for enhanced
audio performance.

Btw, the Linux soundapps pages include a section on emulation software,
with a short list of apps known to run under them.

Best regards,

dp