[linux-audio-user] alsa on hp omnibook 4150 success story

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Sun May 30 02:31:47 EDT 2004

Hi Jan,

--- Jan Weil <jan.weil at web.de> wrote:

> Maybe I'll also test jack performance later.
> How can I find out whether my kernel has
> capabilities support builtin?
> cat /proc/sys/kernel/??

cat /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency will tell whether you
have lowlatency but that's not related to
capabilities. You can look in the jack FAQ for
information on patching the kernel. It's a two line
modification. I'm not certain but seem to recall that
if the kernel does not have capabilities, then jack
will not install the jackstart script--i could be
totally wrong about this. jackstart is used in
conjunction with capabilities.

ron

> Now I'm thinking of buying an external adapter which
> lets me use my
> IDE harddisk (the one from the desktop computer) via
> USB.
> (Yes, I have a backup, but it's two days old and
> it's not complete.)
> Experiences anyone? (Slightly off-topic)

I require studio clients to have USB/Firewire drives.
Then I rsync between my array and their drive. One of
the enclosures we're using is the ME-320 Series and
it's the ME-320U2F IDE to USB2 and 1394A.

I know people are having success with 1394 storage but
I'm not one of them. I don't actually care because
USB2 is plenty good for my storage requirements and it
just  works. I believe it was on the Kino site that I
read a report from someone that is successfuly using
1394B which has 800Mbps capabilities. I recently
purchased a 1394A pci card for $20.00. The card with
1394B was around $60.00.

It might be a nobrainer to put your drive into a USB
enclosure and detect partitions upon mount. You should
test with a drive that doesn't have critical data on
it so you know what to expect.

I recently needed to mount an ext2 partition that was
created on a Mac running ppc. That partition could not
be mounted in an x86 machine. In the end, I had to
mount it using a ppc box. I don't claim to be a
particularly insiteful linux administrator and don't
know what should work in theory but I know what
happened in practice.

ron

[1]http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=HP+Omnibook+4150