[linux-audio-user] Linux and Standards

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 12:20:46 EST 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 16:27:16 +0000, Anahata <anahata at treewind.co.uk> wrote:

> To suggest an open source program might change to something that breaks
> your system overnight is bad publicity that fits right in with common
> misconceptions about OSS. And it just isn't true: in the real world,
> proprietary software does that much more. (MS Office file formats?)
>
> --
> Anahata

How did M$'s proprietary Office file formats every break anyone's
system overnight? I'm not saying I like M$. I just don't understad
your comment. They are a closed standard, but they appear to be a
standard none the less.

On the other hand changes in Wine's memory management broke all VST
support under Wine on May 24th at 8:30 PM. If you left work at 6PM
then when you arrived the next morning that capability was literally
broken overnight. ;-)

This is completely off topic because it really goes toward how OSS is
tested, and not whether it is implementing a standard.