[linux-audio-user] Linux and Standards

anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Tue Nov 2 13:29:05 EST 2004

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 09:20:46AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> How did M$'s proprietary Office file formats every break anyone's
> system overnight?

Not quite that, but more than once they changed the formats between
successive versions of Word etc. so the old program couldn't read files
created by the new one.  After a while people with the old version would
get fed up with receiving Word documents that they couldn't read, so
they upgraded. I've seen it happen myself, and I've heard a story of a
managing director being send a complimentary copy af a new version, and
then the whole company spending thousands on a needless upgrade so the
rest of them could read the boss's office memos.

I'm not familiar with the Wine memory management story. Doesn't look
good, though I still haven't quite understood the details.

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk