[linux-audio-user] [ANN] dssi-vst 0.3

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Thu Nov 4 11:03:20 EST 2004

On Thursday 04 Nov 2004 15:38, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> So in a brief outline, how do I use this? Is it a requirement that
> the app supports it? Can I use it with RG and Muse? If so, how?

You can use DSSI plugins directly in an app that supports hosting them,
such as Rosegarden.  They should be picked up automatically in exactly
the same way as LADSPA plugins are.  The app will need to have been
configured with DSSI support, however, and if it's a packaged version
it might not have been.

Alternatively, you can effectively turn any DSSI plugin into a
standalone JACK/ALSA-sequencer soft synth by using the jack-dssi-host
program provided with the DSSI distribution.  This is a minimal host
that just runs the plugins named on the command line, providing JACK
inputs and outputs and ALSA sequencer MIDI input.  This would allow you
to use (for example) the hexter DX7 synth with MusE.

jack-dssi-host is also capable of being invoked through a symbolic link:
if you create a link to it called /usr/bin/hexter (for example), then
when invoked via that link it will look for hexter.so and run the first
plugin found in it automatically.  This means a plugin can be installed
both as a plugin (hexter.so) and as what looks like a true
ALSA-seq/JACK synth application (the hexter symbolic link).

Chris