[linux-audio-user] suggest a synth

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 12:22:25 EST 2004

--- Ryan Gallagher <ruinaudio at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 06:25, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> > On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 00:34:18 -0800, Florin Andrei
> wrote
> > > Well, there's little or no point in buying a
> hardware sampler if you
> > > wanna create new sounds; i currently own an
> Alesis QS6.2 and, while it's
> > > an excellent sampler on its own (high praise to
> Alesis for creating
> > > an instrument that's robust, straightforward and
> appealing), it's
> > > not appropriate for creating new sounds (well,
> no sampler is, by
> > > definition). Some people appreciate a sampler
> (those who want to
> > > play existing sounds)
> >
> > To just be pedantic - but I don't get this at all,
> a sampler is far better for
> > making unique sounds surely?
> >
> > You can do what you want with sounds from any
> source - ok, so you need a
> > source to begin with, but a synth is actually more
> restrictive as you can only
> > make the sounds it's capable of (even a modular),
> with a sampler you can make
> > an entire track from the sound of someone sneezing
> - if you have enough
> > creativity and time... :)
> >
> > dave
>
> Absolutely true.  Samplers are very misunderstood.
> Samplers can be far
> more "abstract" and creative in sound synthesis
> IMHO.  Also most
> samplers (hardware ones anyway) include basic
> oscillators and filters
> and LFO's.  All of the samplers I've owned could
> make synth noises
> without ever sampling anything or loading any
> samples.

I've got a Kurzweil K2000R. I haven't used it beyound
testing but it's a sophisticated machine. I looked at
them on e-bay recall seeing one for about $500.00 U.S.
It's alot of synthesis, MIDI function controling,
sampling and basic sequencing for that price. It's got
eight analog outputs and a stereo paired digital
output. You gotta love digital outputs.

ron