[linux-audio-user] Ardour, Muse 7.0, Jack_fst (Hypercanvas) & Jack transport...

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Fri Nov 5 04:59:00 EST 2004

Hi all,

I know this isn't a big deal to most but I had to write and say...

With the Missus and kids out of town for a few...I've been a messin'
with Linux Audio! I have been thinking I was limited to audio only
recording with Ardour in Linux which was fine. But tonight I proved
myself wrong and also need to correct a few statements I've made previously.

I managed to sync Muse with Ardour and run a midi vst softsynth all with
relatively few glitches. Hypercanvas is a GM2 full instrument set (128 +
Roland variations) and has some killer sounds. I use midi sequences for
backing in my live stuff and play guitars and do vocals. Sort of
Kar-e-okie on steriods really...but it has punch! I have been needing to
do a demo so rather than concede defeat and resort to Sonar I tried this
combo and it worked very well.  I actually finished on song and mastered
it thru Jamin and it kix ass even if I do say so myself!! :) I did
Superstition ...sort of a cross between Stevie and Stevie. The midi file
is very punchy and I laid 4 guitar tracks and 2 vocals. Never went out
of sync. Shut both progs down...shut one down...logged out on one
machine...oh...and for added kix, I used a laptop with 2 monitor capable
Vid card, hooked up a spare monitor and used XDMCP as well as a montor
and keyboard on the actual machine. This gave me twice as much Desktop
real estate and worked great! All stayed in sync with no drift at all.
Hypercanvas dies every so often but it was doing that before anyway.

So to correct the things I mentioned...Originally I said on this forum
that Muse was kind buggy and not ready for much of anything. Although
it's still very sensitive to loading up (used $ muse -P 99) and it does
not save mixer states (might be a controller thing in the sequence
too...I'm not sure) and still gets gas sometimes running on 2.6.7 with
realtime-lsm, it ran quite predictably and the thing I like about it
most is it is more intuitive than RG on instruments, etc. RG is a pain
because you have to setup instruments individually most of the time.

Sorry for the blurb...I gotta go to bed but I laid down 3 songs tonight
all in Linux and I'm stoked!  I used the gammit and this is just
reaffrimation of what you all know; Linux audio has come a LONG way and
is packing some punch!!

Cheers

R~