[linux-audio-user] connecting soundcards using JACK

Jeroen Wijnhout Jeroen.Wijnhout at kdemail.net
Mon Nov 8 10:07:01 EST 2004

On Monday 08 November 2004 05:09, e. j. branagan - the MUSE wrote:
> Jeroen Wijnhout wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Would it be possible to connect my IMic USB soundcard capture port to the
> >onboard AC97 soundcard using JACK? I'm able to connect ports of a single
> >soundcard to each other, however I would like to be able to listen via the
> >onboard card what I'm recording on the external USB soundcard.
> >
> >It seems that I have to start the JACK daemon in such a way that it can
> > talk to both soundcards at the same time.
> >
> >jackd -V:0.94.0
> >
> >best,
> >Jeroen
>
> Jack will only accept one sound card at a time.
> That can be a 'virtual' soundcard defined in .asourdrc, but unless you
> can sync the cards,
> jack will eventually crash anyway.  For instance, think about what
> happens if your
> playback card is running at 44100 hz and your recording card at 44102 hz.

I was afraid this would be the answer. The point is that the IMic doesn't seem
to support hardware playthrough (although it is capable of recording and
playing at the same time), so I was trying to get around that. It seems that
I either have to find a hardware solution or enable software playthrough in
Audacity and pray the latency is good enough.

Thanks for your answer.

best,
Jeroen
--