[linux-audio-user] recording bats?

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Tue Nov 9 14:58:54 EST 2004

mik wrote:
> a certain jonathan segel <jsegel at magneticmotorworks.com> wrote:
>
>>if you do end up recording bats, and slowing them into audio range, i
>>for one would like to hear the files!
>>

> http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/soundfx/batsounds.shtml

   you (original poster, I don't have the first post anymore) might also
consider other animals - small rodents, cats. Cats hear up to about
60kHz (that's what I remember, even if it's not the right number they
hear a lot higher frequencies than we do), it was explained in the book
I read that that's what they need to be able to hear the small rodents
(so I guess small rodents emit sounds up to about 60kHz), plus cats use
higher frequencies to communicate among themselves (that's why you only
hear them doing the meow sounds when they are around humans).

	erik