[linux-audio-user] (OT)

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at fuse.net
Wed Nov 10 13:33:56 EST 2004

Hi,

While I agree that a volume of knowledge regarding GNU/audio stuff is
already available online, for a newcomer it is too fragmented and
incoherent. Furthermore, even if a single unifying resource existed such as
the one you suggested, due to ongoing development in this field, it would
require a significant amount of work to keep it up-to-date (and imho
keeping-up a well-composed prose that could be used for studying something
that is constantly changing requires a lot more work than verbally
explaining them).

Finally, not everyone is prone to learning just by reading and they require
additional stimuli via lectures, assignments, and hands-on work.

Hence, I believe that relying only on the Web content for the general
educational purposes would not carry very far. Sure, it would work for the
minority (esp. those who have mathematical/programming mind and are capable
of learning programming in a particular toolkit just by looking-up API's)
but for the broader population it would end-up being nothing more than a
reference.

As far as Website content being able to offer you the pace of learning that
fits your needs, this in practice never works as it is in human nature to
postpone that which is the least urgent. This would inadvertently lead to
non-systematic learning and therefore mixed results. School programs impose
assignments onto students for reasons other than grading, most importantly
to stimulate student to work hard in order to master the given material.

Best wishes,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer & multimedia sculptor
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/

---