[linux-audio-user] [OT] Wired GPL Audio/MIDI sequencer

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Sat Nov 13 10:39:31 EST 2004

Robert Jonsson wrote:

>I find it interesting that they have gone through implementing this and
>obviously do not hang on any of the Linux Audio mailinglists. I've never
>heard their names before atleast.
>Possibly audio under Linux is getting bigger than this community, even more
>possible is that we do not announce our presence enough.

We shouldn't be surprised. There is considerable development in Linux
audio that has nothing to do with the LA* lists. Consider just these
domains of activity:

  Java sound software
  Radio & telephony
  aRts development
  Multimedia projects (mplayer, xine)
  Csound5

In addition to those domains there are also many developers who simply
prefer going their own way and do not belong to (or are not active on)
these lists. There are also some developers who disagree with the
ALSA/JACK/LADSPA model foundation for Linux audio software. Personally I
think that's extremely short-sighted but I understand that developers
may not be happy about dumping a project in which they've invested
considerable time and energy. It may prove to be impossible to adapt.

It's good to be reminded that we're not the only ones interested in
Linux audio projects. Yes, I'd like for everyone interested in such
projects to be represented on LA*, but obviously no-one can force them
to be here.

Btw, I'll be updating the Linux soundapps pages again. Wired isn't the
only interesting new application that's appeared since the last update... ;)

Best,

dp