[linux-audio-user] USB 1.1 soundcard

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Nov 14 16:17:40 EST 2004

Hallo,
Christoph Eckert hat gesagt: // Christoph Eckert wrote:

> Frank Barknechts Tastatur gab folgendes zu Protokoll ;-) :
> > It is true. USB1 can do up do 8 channels of 44.1kHz/16bit
> > sounddata.
>
> I can't belive that. When I watch my USB camera transferring
> pictures to my notebook, I'd never expect to be able to
> transport 8 channels simultaneously to the box.

Yes, it's really true. ;)

> Thanks a lot for your hints. I'll have a look (I already have
> seen that there are lots of USB cards out there), and as soon
> I have found one I'd politely ask you if you can tell me
> something about it, if you agree ;-) .

Yes, of course. One thing to consider is: USB 1.1 already is a bit
dated. Personally I wouldn't spend too much money on a
USB-1.1-soundcard anymore, that's why I went with the cheap Terratec
card. I never ran a USB2 soundcard, but IIRC ALSA has support for them
in kernel 2.6. and USB2 is better suited for audio, I suppose, if
alone for the even higher bandwidth.

I still run a USB1 card, because my laptop doesn't have a USB2 port,
otherwise I would probably look into those cards. But then, my el
cheapo Terratec card works very fine and so I don't really need an
upgrade.

Ciao