[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Thu Nov 18 22:15:54 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 18:55 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> However, even with an
> onboard DSP, which is most likely what Pro Tools does, we'd still need
> to map from LADSPA C code to DSP code.

No, you would just use a DSP with a documented instruction set like the
SHARC.  This is used in a lot of pro audio gear.  You use LADSPA for
host signal processing and native DSP code for hardware processing.

This is how Pro Tools plugins work - there is one type that runs on the
hardware and another type that runs on the host.  I don't remember the
exact terminology.

All the examples from this guide use SHARC DSPs:

http://www.dspguide.com/pdfbook.htm

Do we currently have any supported hardware with an "open" DSP?  The EMU
chips have them but this support was reverse engineered.

Lee