[linux-audio-user] best DISTRO?

Peter Brinkmann brinkman at math.TU-Berlin.DE
Sat Nov 20 07:40:51 EST 2004

Hamish,
> I want to use my laptop for audio
> and Agnula DeMudi sounds like the way to go for that
> but i've read Debian has quite a learning curve.
When I was facing the same question a few weeks ago, one musician
friend of mine recommended DeMuDi, and another one whole-heartedly
approved. I'm new to Debian myself, but with DeMuDi the initial
learning curve wasn't too bad because all the audio stuff I want
is included and works right out of the box. Getting my USB audio
interface to work took a little bit of tinkering, but that was a
matter of configuring the audio software and didn't have anything
to do with Debian per se.

> I need a user-friendly computer
> for other stuff, the usual things and video production,
> and also because my computer-knowledge is limited.
I've got both DeMuDi 1.2 and Fedora Core 3 on my laptop. I'm using
DeMuDi for audio and FC3 for everything else. They share the /home
partition, so that I can always easily access work I did on either
side. Have you considered installing two distributions, e.g.,
DeMuDi and Mandrake or DeMuDi and Ubuntu?
Hope this helps,
    Peter