[linux-audio-user] Re: ext3 filesystem

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 03:27:15 EST 2004

Hi,

--- Jan Depner <eviltwin69 at cableone.net> wrote:

> If you fill a directory (mount point) with data and
> then mount an NFS or
> SAMBA file system on it the space you use does not
> show up in a du
> listing but does show up as "used" in df.  As an
> example, if you make a
> mount point /data (not a unique partition but part
> of /) and drop 10 GB
> into it, then mount fred:/whatever on /data, if
> fred:/whatever only has
> 1 GB in it that's all you'll see with a du -sh /data
> command but the
> 10GB is still used and takes 10 GB from your /
> filesystem.  To make sure
> you haven't done this, unmount all NFS and SAMBA
> filesystems then check
> your filesystem sizes.
>
> Jan
>

> On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 23:39, Robert Epprecht wrote:
> > Andrew Burgess <aab at cichlid.com> writes:
> >
> > > One thing that fooled my once was mounting over
> a non-empty
> > > directory.

I couldn't immediately follow up on the responses to
my plea. I had to master one album, engineer/produce
the first six songs to another album, repair sessions
and  mix a third album; all Ardour and JAMin jobs.

Meanwhile I read the responses and sure enough I am
mounting on a non-empty directory. I pulled apart my
studio and the linux box to record a remote job. Part
of this system is an rsync mirror that runs on a cron
job but I pulled the HD where the mirror writes.
Whoops! The directory it needs to write to is there
but it's /mnt/mirror.

Thanks for the help,

ron