[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Fri Nov 26 18:34:17 EST 2004

> I assume that RME has developped their own protocols, which they don't
> want to share. And frankly I can understand their point of view, because
> I think an awfull lot of time (=money) must have been spent to develop
> an efficient protocol.

1. So they haven't invested the a comparable amount of time into
Hammerfall series?
2. I can only understand the point of view of open source developers
here, since they also invested an awfull lot of time (and money that
they didn't get back!) into developing linux audio applications, many of
which are state-of-art at least with respect to technology. And they're
free as in beer/speech.
That said i really don't understand the point of view of those few how
actually kindof defend the position of RME (or any other manufacturer in
a similar position), no offense intended.

> The RME story also goes for the firewire interface of M-Audio. They use
> a DM1000 based platform, so initially we thought the device could be
> supported by FreeBob. But apparently they modified the reference
> firmware, making it (possibly) non-conformant to the 1394TA specs. As
> such these devices cannot be supported by FreeBob directly. Maybe if we
> have a working driver, we can convince the M-Audio people to share the
> nescessary info so that we can support their devices also.

Which seems like it's the beginning of end for linux pro-audio hw
support if we don't fight for it. Right now it concerns just me, but it
might concern everyone in the near future.

Marek