[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev/user] RME is no more

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 00:22:11 EST 2004

Hi,

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jan,
>    We sort of started working through some ideas
> last week some time.
> It would be expensive, but I don't think it would be
> anywhere near the
> number Ron talked about. Also, we were not talking
> about doing
> anything particularly commercial. Much like Ardour,
> Rosegarden, etc.,
> are great apps but not necessarily marketable to the
> mass market, this
> card was envisioned by a few of us as something that
> starts to break
> the idea that you had to buy cards where you knew
> nothing about what
> was inside.
>
>    All that said, there is no way that this device
> would be as cost
> effective as a commercially available device.

That isn't entirely obvious. Look at what I said about
 markup. Around one half or two thirds the cost for
devices like this are tacked on by distributers and
retailers.

Your idea seems to be a "scratch my itch" plan which
eliminates distributer and retailer markup. It
probably means no promotional costs. Now we're
canceling our membership to the Dallas Oilmen's Club
and moving to Arkansas because the legislature just
legalized the collection of roadkill. These numbers
are fathomable but there's still challanges.

Parts like circuit boards which are not commodity need
to be purchased in bulk. One offs are probably out of
the question. Right or wrong?

Believe me, I am not trying to discourage anyone. It
would be an awesome accomplishment and I'd want to own
one of these tools. I watched someone else go through
the dream, design to prototype and then stumble into
the boiling vat of manufacturing and distribution.
That poor SOB is probably livin' in a tar paper shack
somewhere on the backroads of Arkansas, sending
letters to granny Clampett begging for her roadkill
possum recipe and wishin' he'd have solved the
business issues before the engineering and design
stuff.

If there's anything I can do to assure that we meet at
a cement pond in Hollywood, let me know.

ron

 The