Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Nov 28 08:03:38 EST 2004

Last Saturday 27 November 2004 21:36, Lee Revell was like:
> On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 15:43 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> > > Did this happen?
> >
> > Maybe not to them but look at Mackie and Behringer.
>
> Just to save people some googling here is a thread that documents the
> long and colorful history of pro audio hardware manufacturers blatantly
> ripping each other off, often leaving the victims with no legal
> recourse:
>
> http://homerecording.com/bbs/archive/index.php/t-74439.html
>
> IMO the issue is not whether RME's concern is valid - clearly it is.
> Sorry, but arguing otherwise makes us look stupid and naive.  The issue
> is how to address this concern.  If that means a closed source Linux
> driver, fine.
>
> Maybe the reason no firewire hardware is supported is because Behringer
> and their ilk would instantly have all the info they need to copy the
> design and mass produce it.  Doesn't matter how cheap the device is to
> design - it will _always_ be cheaper to rip someone off than design it
> yourself.  They can even sell at a loss, due to huge cash reserves -
> they only need to sustain it long enough to put the competition out of
> business.  In the case of the "Swizz Army Tuner", the original designers
> were ripped off by Behringer, but a lawsuit would have bankrupted them
> _even if they won_ so could not take action.
>
> I think many people in this thread underestimate how cutthroat the
> hardware business is.

Yeah, If I was the MD of RME, after reading some of the responses on this
thread I'd be thinking of flippin' the bird at all these ungrateful linux
users. We're a minority group and I think the onus is on us to convince RME
to produce a driver for their firewire hardware, politely and if necessary,
via the florists ;-). OK, so closed-source drivers are far from ideal, but
better than a hole in the head.

It means that the drivers can't be bundled with distros and we won't be able
to provide users & developers with technical support, which is a great shame.

However, I suspect a certain amount of well-reasoned persistence will pay off
here. Sure, our numbers on this list aren't great, but they are significant.
People are now migrating to GNU/Linux systems on a daily basis, even the
'newbies' on this list are probably considered to be 'computer gurus' amongst
their immediate circle of friends. This list is the tip of an iceberg.

OK, _very_ few people are using firewire technology for music, up till now I'd
considered it the preserve of mac/motu users. I think we should continue to
support RME where licenses allow and look forward to the day that they
release their firewire drivers :-). I think we should keep up the pressure on
manufacturers like MOTU too. They'll see sense eventually. ;-]

Mine is an equally naive viewpoint, but with the knowledge that a little bit
of positive thinking can go a long way, especially when backed up with a
well-researched wish-list and plenty of patience. Three years ago, I thought
owning my own DAW on next to no money was a bit of a naive pipe-dream.

Uh, ... be careful what you wish for! ;-)

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk